Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Nature vs. Nurture refers to two different developmental influences: Nature meaning that you inherited some specific trait genetically, Nurture meaning that the trait has been instilled in you by way of the environment in which you grew up in.

Another example of a nature aspect of development would be my height. While my dad towers over me at just over 6’, I have inherited my height from both my mother, and my paternal grandmother. At 5’1”, I’m actually taller than both of them. This would be Nature over Nurture because I don’t believe it would be possible to raise a child any differently in which it would influence their height.

I think a trait of mine that would be classified as Nurture would be my health. I’m a vegetarian, who exercises daily, never drinks, and has never picked up a cigarette or put any illegal substances in my body. I learned these traits by watching those around me suffer from chronic health problems due to their diets and addiction to substances (legal or not), so I

I’d also like to mention a 5th aspect of my development, which I am still to this day on the fence about. I have asthma, allergies, and eczema. These three conditions tend to come together, and are usually inherited, making it a nature trait. However, I have read studies that claim that these conditions can also be because by the chemicals found in second hand smoke. (More on this can be found at the following link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080723170835.htm) As an infant, I was unfortunately exposed to a lot of second hand cigarette smoke, so I have never been sure whether this was a nature or nurture trait. 282

No comments:

Post a Comment